Porcelain veneers have helped countless individuals achieve dazzling, radiant smiles. When you see most celebrity smile makeovers, they usually involve use of porcelain veneers. If your goal is to create the most ‘perfect’ and highly uniform smile possible, porcelain veneers are usually the treatment of choice.
- What are Porcelain Veneers?
- Porcelain Veneers Treatable Cases
- Smile Makeover with Porcelain Veneers
- What Makes the Perfect Smile?
- Types of Porcelain Veneers
- Porcelain Veneers Results
What are Porcelain Veneers?
Composed of ultra-thin, translucent shells made of porcelain, veneers can restore both form and function to teeth affected by tooth wear, chips, gaps, discoloration, and misalignments. Because porcelain mimics the appearance of teeth and is custom-shaded to your natural tooth colour, this treatment can provide seamless discretion and enduring beauty that lasts well into the future.
Please see examples of before-and-after photos from the porcelain veneers procedure in our smile portfolio.
Dr Mark Hughes, award-winning cosmetic dentist, performs the porcelain veneer treatment with excellence only obtained by a refined aesthetic eye and years of extensive experience. Both options provide extraordinarily natural-looking enhancements that can improve the overall appearance of your smile.
What Can Porcelain Veneers Treat?
Porcelain veneers are a conservative treatment designed to mask dental flaws that may be preventing healthy-looking teeth and a straight, even smile. The thin porcelain shells are bonded directly to the front of the tooth and can be used to improve many aspects of its natural structure, including:
- Shape— For teeth that are chipped or cracked, porcelain veneers are designed with your natural tooth proportions in mind to achieve the ideal shape and size. A tooth with a full form appears healthier, younger-looking, and provides additional functional benefits when compared to teeth marred by structural damage.
- Colour— Porcelain is stain-resistant and typically offers a brighter, whiter appearance for teeth that have been substantially discoloured by coffee, wine, tobacco products, or the natural aging process.
- Symmetry—When teeth appear short, worn down, misaligned, or separated by gaps, porcelain veneers can add the necessary length and uniformity characteristic of an even smile.
Advantages of Porcelain Veneers:
- Most perfect and beautiful results
- Bespoke design possible
- Resistant to all staining
- Large improvements in enamel shade
- Thin preparation
- Faster than braces
Disadvantages of Porcelain Veneers:
- Usually require some tooth reduction (preparation)
- Require a high level of skill to administer
- Risk of sensitivity or nerve damage
- Require replacements over time
If you wish to address a multitude of cosmetic concerns in your smile, Dr. Hughes can perform the porcelain veneer treatment as part of a smile makeover. Smile makeovers are a transformative option that can create a completely new smile with the placement of multiple porcelain veneers, or by combining an array of cosmetic procedures—including options such as dental implants, teeth whitening, dental crowns, and more—in one convenient treatment. The procedural options are chosen according to your unique dental needs for a comprehensive and beautiful final result.
What Makes the Perfect Smile?
When utilizing porcelain veneers to enhance a patient’s smile, Dr. Hughes considers many different factors that go beyond mere tooth size and shape. To achieve a smile with aesthetic balance, he additionally examines:
- Level of gums
- Angle of teeth
- Reflection of light
- “Dark corridors” at the side of the mouth
- Symmetry of smile
- Lip posture (the amount of exposed enamel when smiling and at rest)
These elements can determine how to optimize the design of an improved smile that appears harmonious to your natural lip and mouth shape. With these considerations, Dr. Hughes can develop a personalized treatment plan to provide you with the best possible result.
Your new smile can be simulated in advance of starting any treating through our Digital Smile Design technology, Smile Simulation tool, or by using a mock-up to create a Trial Smile.
Treatment Sequence (3-6 Weeks)
- Smile Design & Prototyping
- Smile “Test Drive”
- Review Provisionals
- Review & Adjustment
Types of Porcelain Veneers
Dr. Hughes offers many different veneer options to suit a patient’s individual needs and preferences.
Following a smile consultation, he can recommend the veneer option that will fulfill your cosmetic goals most effectively. Depending on your unique situation, the levels of tooth preparation necessary for porcelain veneer placement include:
- Moderate Preparation
- Ultra-thin Preparation
- No Preparation
Treatment results from porcelain veneers can dramatically improve the appearance of your smile. Depending on the number of veneers applied to the teeth, they can provide a fuller, straighter, and whiter smile that can be enjoyed in two office visits or less. We invite you to peruse our patient gallery to gain an idea of how porcelain veneers can help you achieve a flawless, beautiful smile with zero downtime. With a stable bite and the routine wear of a bite guard, there is often very little maintenance and porcelain veneers can last for many years—if not decades.
For more information about porcelain veneers, or to schedule a consultation with Dr. Hughes, please don’t hesitate to contact Dr. Mark Hughes.